General Assistance? – Dial 2-1-1 or visit http://www.alaska211.org – connecting resources to help!
- Basic Telephone Service Assistance – Lifeline/Link Up Info
(low-cost phones for low-income)
- Fairbanks Foodbank – 725 26th Ave (907) 457-4273 – Provides food boxes on emergency basis or recurring food boxes.
- Stone Soup Cafe – 507 Gaffney Road – Provides: Coffee and pastries 7:30 am, breakfast 8:30 – 10:00 am. Sack lunches are available daily.
- Fairbanks Rescue Mission – 723 27th Street – Provides: Breakfast (M-F 7:00 am, SAT-SUN 8:00 am) Lunch (M-SAT 12:00 noon & SUN 1:00 pm.) and Dinner (5pm) Guests must be alcohol-free. Dining is gender-separate; married couples may eat together.
- Immaculate Conception Church – 2 Doyon Place – Provides: Nutritious hot lunch (Sat and Sun, 11-1) and holiday meals.
- The Salvation Army – 2222 S Cushman St – Drop-in bread pantry and emergency food boxes provided. Enter through door on side of building.
Public Assistance Programs
- Public Assistance– State of Alaska, Department of Health & Social Services, Division of Public Assistance, Fairbanks District Office, 675 7th Ave (907) 451-2850 (1-800-478-2850)
- Food Stamps
- Application for Services
- Alaska Food Stamp Manual (AFSM)
- AFSM 602-3 D 18. (Eligibility Factors > Income > Exempt Income > Volunteer Payments): “Payments made under any program of the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) are excluded income. This income may be identified under a number of program names, including, but not limited to, AmeriCorps, AmeriCorps-VISTA, AmeriCorps-NCCP (National Civilian Community Corps), National Senior Volunteer Corporation, Retired & Senior Volunteer Corps, Foster Grandparents Program, and Senior Companion Program.”
- Translation: VISTA Stipends are not considered income when applying for assistance, and you will also be exempt from requirements of seeking additional work whilst a VISTA.
- Food Stamps
- Heating Assistance Program (HAP)